Ed's Editorial

Installment #5, Building a Vertical Welding Forge (WIP)

With the forge curing nicely, I figured I’d better get busy and build the lid. I cut off a 3″ tall section of the same diameter pipe that I used for the forge body… split it, then filled in the sides/gaps with 1/4″ plywood to make it match the outside diameter of the forge. Laid the form on a piece of plywood, and used nails to ensure everything stayed put. I decided to build the lid just the reverse of the forge… putting Kawool on the inside, and making the rest out of castable.

[​IMG]

The pieces of bent rebar will be handles for the lid… inset into the castable.

[​IMG]

Next, I mixed up some castable to a very soupy consistency, and basically soaked the Kawool in it. Then I laid the Kawool in the form, and mixed up a thicker batch of castable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was just a matter of filling the form with castable, and putting the rebar in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the castable way more wet then I wanted… but I guess “it is what it is”. Now it’s just a matter of curing time before I can do anything else. Once I get it in place and fired, I’ll update the thread with how it works out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *